Thursday, September 7, 2006

“I'm sorry, I can't do this...”



So, we had this Poetry Recitiation () competition in our school today, and I participated in it (albeit I hadn't really any choice). It was, let me tell you, unbelievably stupid. For one thing, the theme was "Seasons" (though that's not the stupid bit) and rules like the time limit were told to us two periods before the competition (that's not the stupid bit either). The stupid bit starts when I tell you that no one was allowed to take the paper with the poem written on it up onstage for some absurd reason that if you take the paper you'll keep looking into it and so you won't manage to have proper expressions .

So, here's how it went:

Participant 1: The title of my poem is "Ode to Autumn" by John Keats.
[Starts off]
[1 minute later, gets stuck; looks down, realises there's no paper to look down at]
....I'm sorry, I can't do this......[walks off]


Compere: Our next participant is [blah]

P2: The title of my poem is [whatever-it-was].
[Starts off]
[1.5 minute later, gets stuck; looks down, realises there's no paper to look down at]
....I'm sorry, I can't do this......[walks off]

Compere: Our next participant is [blah]

P3: The title of my poem is "Ode to Autumn" by John Keats.
[Starts off]
[1/2 minute later, gets stuck; looks down, realises there's no paper to look down at]
....I'm sorry, I can't do this......[walks off]

Me: Wondering why nobody can remember their poems properly and why the judges didn't allow them to take the papers with them (don't give me the expression crap) and why everyone is saying 'Ode to Autumn'.

Well, basically, there were about 5 more participants who recited the same Ode, all of whom could not remember it in its entirety, and out of the 24 participants, at least 17 walked off after saying they were sorry and could not do it.

Me? My chance came right in the end. I didn't quite forget my poem, but then I didn't quite get a prize either (came 4th by 1 or 2 points).

Ah well.

***


So the iMac Core 2 Duos have been released which makes me wonder what momentus things they're gonna show on September 12. New Mac Minis are also there, and I'd buy them if it were not for the graphics card.

Oh, and I noticed this interesting thing in my feedreader:


8 comments:

Shayeri

wassa point of whining?? We all know how infamous these english poetry recitation competitions are thanks to 80 % of the participants being miraculously blank.

And, what exactly was the interesting thing about that, erm, screen shot? **looks around foolishly expecting the picture to do some cartwheels**

~Shayeri

PS: Somehow I can't log on to messenger, but pls pls pls send me what i asked for! Pretty please!!

frankzzsword

haha, nice blog buddy.

;) gj with poem though, 4th position is actually good out of those 24

Karan

A new iPod which hooks up to their new Movie Store I expect.

blog.sahil.me

@shayeri: even i couldn't sign in, and would you believe it, i forgot again!!

@frankzz_sword: hey! thanks for visiting my blog....yeah, but 4th pos doesnt actually get you a prize :D.....who cares??

@karan: hmm, yes, i read about that, it'll be really cool, but i wonder why they couldn't have released the macs today too?

@shayeri: uffo! it just looks odd that i have 100 unread feed items in all the feeds! :)

DigVJ

dude....sorry i comneted so late...sm how my feeds didnt show me dat u had posted so....lol dude i didnt knoe u came 4th...dats actualy really gud dude out of 24....and man cant w8 to see wat de mac ppl do wid de core 2 dou..its gonna be awesome

blog.sahil.me

no matter, you didn't really post all that late you know.....anyway, yeah, anuradha dang told me i missed it by prolly a point or two :)

blog.sahil.me

and i wouldnt really cosider it to be out of 24, as most of those 24 didn't really say most of their poems :D

Anwita Khaitan

That was the exact reason why I didn't participate.. I knew it would be stupid..and would therefore lead to my performing pathetically......


500=100+100+100+100+100=500
I like multiples of 10 and 5

Post a Comment